Here at Bennett’s Legal Limited we are nationally renowned experts for compromise agreements. We handle compromise agreements on a regular basis from national and international companies and institutions, from the financial services and City sector, and from the professions including law firms or on behalf of individual lawyers.
If you have a compromise agreement you should talk to us. We specialise in compromise agreement advice and are used to dealing with high value and difficult situations. We deal with them daily.
EXPERT ADVICE ON COMPROMISE AGREEMENTS
When looking to negotiate your compromise agreement it is likely we will focus on the following areas:
- We will focus on quantum. This is the amount of money you will receive. In the early stages of a dispute less experienced solicitors will focus on liability should your employer pay you something or not. We tend to focus on looking at what you could secure at tribunal and then negotiating for the maximum. City employee’s quantum is often affected by your role and the embarrassment factor to your employer. Again focusing on quantum is often more beneficial for example the unfair dismissal limit for the compensatory award is currently £72,300 but in the last year we have secured numerous settlements in excess of this when the circumstances merit additional compensation in essence because the business would like the employee to leave quietly.
- Being tax efficient. We have a chartered tax advisor as a consultant to the firm to ensure that any settlement is dealt with in a tax efficient matter.
- Legal costs. We know that our clients only want to pay our fees if we secure them more money under the compromise agreement then they would have got anyway. If your employer does not cover all of our legal costs we will only charge you if, and we stress if, we have negotiated more money under the quantum then the increase in our fees. Your employer will certainly make a contribution in almost all cases.
- Your reference. Your reference is your gateway to your future career. It should be included in your compromise agreement. Every week we are consulted by employees who didn’t secure this when getting initial compromise agreement advice from other firms and other solicitors and we have to unravel the heartache of a poor reference undermining employee moving forward. We believe it is vital for a reference to be secured and to be contained within the compromise agreement. We will ensure that the reference does not close doorways to you and keeps open your options for future employment.
- Public comment. If you want because of the seniority of your position and appropriate public statement we will negotiate one. We will also advise you to avoid Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn comments that may antagonise your employer either during or after the negotiating period. Most compromise agreements prevent a clause which prevents you from talking about the settlement and your terms of departure. Honouring these in a neutral way is often beneficial to the employee. We will seek to negotiate this.
To secure a no obligation discussion about your proposed compromise agreement from expert legal advisors used to acting as independent legal advisors on compromise agreements you should contact 0844 4722378. If you prefer you can email our Employment Tribunal Solicitors for further information on Compromise Agreements.